Move aside, spring cleaning. Since the release of Netflix’s 2018 series Tidying Up With Marie Kondo, everyone’s been on the move to start deep cleaning. Today. In fact, Buzzfeed reported that the series even sparked a rise in donations in thrift stores across the nation.
With the beginning of Chinese New Year Feb. 5, 2019, there’s no better way to ring in the Year of the Pig by continuing the tradition of keeping your living space clean. Most start the cleaning in the days leading up to New Year’s Day, but it’s always good to jump in if you’re wanting to tidy up your life. There’s never a bad time to try and cleanse your house, your soul and your mind.
While you’re busy cleaning, you can also throw in some feng shui in order to really bring peace into your home for the rest of the year. But if you’re not sure where to start, here some unique ways to keep your home neat, stay lucky and full of positive energy in the Year of the Pig.
Start with the wardrobe.
Just like Marie Kondo said, does it spark joy? If it doesn’t, you probably don’t need it. Cleaning out your wardrobe should be a huge priority. It’s always good to get rid of things that you haven’t used for over six months to a year.
Don’t continue to hold onto the things that you don’t need. Start switching around your closet so your short-sleeved clothes can be accessed easier and put away heavy jackets that you’re no longer using.
Whatever you’ve decided to give away can be given away to friends, family, or to a thrift store. Other methods of getting rid of old clothes includes selling them on apps like Depop and OfferUp. Once you’ve gone through your closets, you can move onto more extensive deep cleaning.
Getting rid of dust can go a long way.
One of the biggest hassles of a dirty house includes the dust that accumulates over the years. And it’s not like every crevice of the house gets adequate cleaning every single week. That means it’s time to bust out the big guns.
Dust everything including the ceiling, make sure you sweep and after that make sure that you mop, as well as clean the furniture, writes ABS-CBN News. Pay attention to every single room of the house–especially the rooms you inhabit the most such as the kitchen and the bathroom. Once the house is spotless, you’ll feel a lot better. And continuing that cleanliness will ensure that the house stays at peace.
Take a good look at the kitchen.
The kitchen is the most essential part of any house that brings in wealth to a home, meaning you should take exceptionally good care of it, according to Gulf News. It’s the place where everyone gets the nutrition that they need to live.
Don’t hold onto old food and condiments that take up space in your fridge. Those kinds of things are magnets for pools of bacteria. Gulf News reports that many Asian households will have a rice urn on the counter that never goes empty; everything is replaced, things that are uneaten and chipped plates are to be discarded.
When you’ve got things that are broken and stale in your kitchen, it messes with your wealth. The upkeep of your kitchen is imperative to have a successful year.
How to really use feng shui in the house.
Have you reassessed the chi (also known as energy) in your house? Once you’ve begun the cleaning process, you’re well on your way. Next comes the addition of feng shui. Feng shui is a way to practically organize your home in a way that also similarly brings happiness to your life.
A HoustonChronicle.com article with feng shui practitioner Patricia Lohan and interior designers Sophia Vassiliou and Mary Lindsey Wilson offers these key tips to really bring this practice to your home:
- Start with your front door – Since this is the first thing that anyone’s going to see when they come to your house, it’s incredibly important to make sure it’s cared for properly. If your door is painted a grand color, it actually welcomes guests to your home.
- Be mindful and self-reflect – Think about how you want to move forward for 2019. Once you’re there, think of how you can apply it to your home in order to better yourself.
- Work on the bedroom – This is where a majority of your energy is going to reside, so why not treat your room with kindness? Your room should be a place of calm that brings happiness to your life.
- Position things to optimize your sleeping patterns – If you can’t sleep well, it bring negative energy in your home. Shadows reflected from any mirrors and clutter underneath your bed can impact your sleeping patterns.
- Letting go is key – Life is better when you’re minimalistic. Get rid of things you don’t want or figure out how to repurpose them into something that you do want.
- Choose light colors for your home – Dark colors aren’t good for a house. Bringing in vibrant, light colors brings a sense of loving into a home. Natural blues and greens are also great in feng shui. Also change out light bulbs in order to improve the lighting of your living space.
- Fresh plants breathe life into a living space – Maybe you don’t have a green thumb. But having plants in your home is a great way to bring fresh positivity into your home. It’s really one of the best ways to dispel negativity.
Last year was the Year of the Dog, which brought about strong dynamics across the world. But for this year, the Year of the Pig is meant to bring a wave of calm over earth, according to Manilla Times. It’s a time of self-examination, strong health and bringing in happiness and wealth. Participating in the art of decluttering is a great way to maintain these important life aspects and bring joy into your life for years to come.